Written and photography by averyhouse
1. Don’t forget about the engagement session! It is a great way to get to know your photographer and get comfortable being in front of the camera. We find that couples who take the time to do one are much more relaxed about having their photos taken on the wedding day. It’s also a great chance to get some fun, casual photos of the two of you in some of your favorite locations around the city that you may not have time to visit after saying “I do.”
2. Consider a second shooter. They provide different angles and essentially allow for your photographer to be in two places at once. They can get different perspectives on the ceremony and can split up to focus on getting detail and decor shots during cocktail hour. Many photographers include this in their standard packages so be sure to ask before you book!
3. Be sure to ask your photographer if they offer special rates for wedding weekend brunches, rehearsal dinners or mehndi ceremonies. Many people forget that the events that don’t necessarily take place on the wedding day need to be photographed too!
4. Get a photobooth! Obviously we are partial to Smilebooth, but a photobooth is a great way to give guests downtime from dancing. Then they can take all that silly photo booth energy back to the dance floor to keep the party going. It’s also a fun way to keep capturing the night once your photographers have left.
5. Finally, remember you wedding day photographer could potentially become your life photographer. It’s good to establish a relationship so when those other big life milestones come along (babies, anniversaries, birthday’s…) you know who to call.
averyhouse is a Chicago based photography team who specialize in weddings and lifestyle portraiture. They also manage the midwest division of Smilebooth, a national photo booth comapny. Their studio is located at 2868 N Lincoln Ave. All photos by averyhouse.